Saturday, January 24, 2009

Women’s Works (of Art)

I've discovered three inspiring female artists. Click on the highlighted links below to learn more about them.

I met painter Hollis Jeffcoat through my mother, Jane, who lives on Sanibel Island and is also an artist. My mom has been Hollis's student for years and was thrilled to take me to the lovely island gallery exhibiting her mentor's work. Hollis grew up in Southwest Florida, but has travelled extensively over her 35 year career, studying and working in New York, Montreal and France. Her work is exhibited at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. While she has mainly worked in oil, Hollis's most recent pieces, such as Woods III (pictured at left), are vivid pastels. You can see more of her paintings at ww.hollisjeffcoat.com. I'm enamored with her "Traveler" series.

I drive a lot of swimming and soccer carpools and there's one song on the car radio I can't get enough of:  "Where I Stood" by singer-songwriter Missy Higgins. Just 25 years old, Missy has been a successful recording artist in her native Australia for years, but she only hit the American airwaves recently,  after "Where I Stood" was featured on Grey's Anatomy. Give this moving song a listen at the  Missy Higgins MySpace page.

This summer, I took my creative daughter, Emma, to the American Craft Expo in Evanston, which features some of the best artisans in the country. We were just there to nose around until I discovered Dona Look, the female half of the jewelry design team Loeber+Look. Her jewelry is so cool - a great combination of delicacy and funk. I promptly bought a sterling silver "Dot" necklace ($160) and pair of "Ring" earrings ($70.) It may seem a bit expensive, but every time I wear the necklace I get compliments, which makes me feel like a million bucks. You can shop the collection at the Loeber+Look website.

Do you know any inspiring women artists? Post them here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd suggest looking into a young and upcomming talent like Ryann Rathbone.

Her blog is http://ryannontheroad.blogspot.com/
and her work is raw and inspiring.

Just a thought...