Monday, April 29, 2013

NYC Style This Weekend: What They Wore, What's in Stores


Here’s what the cool chicks were wearing in New York City this beautiful April weekend:

Shrunken trench coats. I packed a lightweight trench, but mine was knee-length, which seemed hopelessly out of style and voluminous compared to the cute short belted trenches I saw on girls and women all over Midtown. A practical layer for the changeable weather.
image from Burberry.com
These are $125 at J. Crew

Dark, skinny, cropped jeans – Manhattan women of all ages are enviably slim, and these dark body-hugging jeans looked very flattering on their tiny thighs, but I’d say this look is not for everyone. However, the length was fresh and modern – just grazing the anklebone in a kind of sweetly sexy way.


Corso Como flat $59, Nordstrom
Ballet flats – forget stilettos, New Yorkers walk. The footwear of choice was chic but practical ballet flats without too much adornment. (Sorry Tory Burch.)















And here’s what I saw in stores:

Bright Sorbet Colors and Florals
I only had a few hours to shop, but the displays in stores were dazzling. I spotted only a few women actually wearing these eye-popping hues and garden inspired fabrics, but they were everywhere in stores.

From Bloomingdales, who had a big 30% off sale this weekend…

Ted Baker display at Bloomindales.



…to the very cool and cheap Joe Fresh and Uniqlo  – my daughter Emma would love these stores! 

Lollipop color at Joe Fresh
Trend combo: ballet flats + color at Joe Fresh
Uniqlo NYC


If you’ve had a hankering to wear pink and turquoise and mix it up with some crazy poppy print, this is the season for you. I’ve never seen such girly frippery. After a long gray Chicago winter, it makes me happy.

That said, I didn’t buy anything candy-colored or flowery. But I did pick up this Red Haute floaty zebra patterned blouse at Bloomingdale’s for 30% off, which I intend to wear over a silky, comfy black tank I picked up at Uniqlo for 12 bucks. I think it would look great with the ballet flats and dark jeans don’t you?

I look just like this.
Pic from bloomingdales.com
I’d love to know, what are you looking forward to wearing this spring?


No comments: