Tuesday, April 23, 2013

10 Weight Loss Tips that Work for Me

I'm fascinated by what people eat and how people manage their weight, aren't you? I've learned that almost no one is naturally thin. I'm certainly not, but turning 50 along with major hormonal changes was a wake up call, so I've changed my habits and am slowly losing weight. Yesterday, I detailed my simple, 5-step, slow-but-sure, weight loss plan.  As a refresher, the basic structure is:

  • Keep a food journal and record the calories of the foods you eat.
  • Set a reasonable reduced daily calorie goal and stick to it.
  • Eat all the fruits and veggies you want - they're free!
  • Record your weight weekly.
  • Take one day off a week and enjoy yourself.

Restaurants like Noodles & Co let you
make informed decisions. 
Simple right? Here are a few tips to staying the course that have worked for me.
  1. Be consistent and accurate with the food journal. I know if I'm not writing it down, I'm eating too much.
  2. Have a plan for your day so you don't have to keep thinking about it. With my 1400 calorie goal (yours might be different) I shoot for a 300 calorie breakfast, a 400 calorie lunch, and a 400 calorie dinner - which leaves me with 300 calories for a snack and a glass of wine. 
  3. It's okay to feel hungry. I was actually afraid to feel hunger, but we shouldn't always feel stuffed or even satisfied. Feeling a little bit empty means you're eating less, and that means the plan is working. 
  4. Postpone gratification. If you feel uncomfortable between meals, try this. Have a cup of tea or a glass of sparkling water with lemon. Ravenous? Eat a piece of fruit or some raw veggies.  Still hungry? Pop a breath mint or some gum or brush your teeth. Now you're hydrated, healthy, have fresh breath, and closer to mealtime!
  5. Satisfy cravings with a little bit of something delicious. You can eat any food you want when you pay attention to portion sizes. If you're obsessing about chocolate, two Hershey Special Dark Chocolate Kisses are just 42 calories. 
  6. When dining out, head to places like Panera or Noodles & Co which have calories posted on their menu. Or check out a restaurant's nutrition info online in advance. 
  7. When in doubt, order soup. It's almost always the lowest calorie option. 
  8. Go to bed early. Sleep is a huge component of weight loss. Instead of hanging out in front of the TV or computer, head upstairs and take a bath, read a book, wash your face. You'll feel beautiful and rested and avoid all those late night calories.
  9. When I goof up or lose focus, I don't feel guilty or beat myself up. I'm a grown woman, doing this for me, and it's not a competition. I just pull out my pencil and food journal and start the next day fresh. 
  10. Don't expect miraculous results. This is not a crash diet or a cleanse (both of which sound horrid.) It's a longterm plan to drop up to a pound a week without suffering - and hopefully, for good!
Would love to hear what works for you!

4 comments:

Laura said...

Great plan, and you look fab, be you 40 or 50!

chihuahuawithwheels said...

MyFitnessPal - Have had excellent results and easy to use. I recommend to all of my friends!

Marjie Killeen said...

Thanks Laura! I've always looked like a middle aged woman, so it's finally working for me.

And yes, Chihuahua, My Fitness Pal is a great way to track!

Gynaecologist said...

Nice blog. Make a consistent in the level of your food content. Ensure high protein content foods. Eat healthy foods.