Thursday, September 2, 2010

Crossing over to the Dark Side

I did something impulsive this morning. I dyed my hair back to its natural color. Well, I think it's my natural color. I've been highlighting my hair for most of my adult life, so I can't really be sure.

The problem with highlights, aside from the expense and time at the salon, is that they bleach out in the sun. Over the summer, some of my professionally applied streaks had actually turned white.  It looked weird and unnatural. Yesterday, I looked in the mirror and wondered how I'd turned into an over-processed blonde chick, when I identify so strongly as a brunette.

Before: Me on Saturday
So, today, I picked up a box of L'Oreal Excellence to Go at Walgreens and, voila! Ten minutes and ten bucks later, this is the new me.

Hmmm. 

After: This morning after my $10 in home treatment
I'm not sure if it's an improvement or not, but sometimes, change - any change - is a good thing. I'm going to use my new, natural-ish hair color to embrace my dark side. I'm not just perky and polite, you know. I'm deep. I'm tortured. I can be a bad, bad girl.

Yes, I have to fold the laundry, water the plants and write three thank you notes. But after that, man, I am going to go fucking crazy.

Now, all I need is a Thelma to ride shotgun.


3 comments:

JL said...

you could dye your hair purple and still be stunning...inside and out!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Work it, girl.

Anonymous said...

I love the new darker you, I think it's so much more flattering with your skin tone.