Monday, March 16, 2009

Not Tonight Dear, I've Got to Meditate


Now here's an alternative lifestyle worth considering. A recent New York Times article profiled the One Taste Urban Retreat Center in San Francisco, a coed living commune dedicated to the female orgasm.

The center opens its yoga and meditation classes to the public, but only residents can participate in "morning practice," a private session of Orgasmic Meditation (OM-ing for short.) During OM, women are carressed by their fully-dressed, eye-averting "research partners" with whom they are not necessarily romantically involved. Their mutual goal is the woman's fulfillment.

The founder of the center, Nicole Daedone, believes this technique is essential for female empowerment. "I don't think women will really experience freedom until they own their sexuality," she says. The male research partners also get benefits from the OM sessions, like relaxation and increased concentration at work.

We Midwesterners are notoriously prudish, and as far as I can tell, no one is holding OM sessions here in the Chicago area. But purely in the interest of female equality, I'm going to keep an eye out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my.....

Alchemist George said...

I think this information has been around for a long time, although it wasn't part of a spiritual practice (as far as I know). I think the information about female sexuality comes out of the lafayette morehouse commune mentioned in the article - still going strong by all accounts.

I think we'll be hearing more from OneTaste, maybe there will be a center in Chicago ....