Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Feeling Down about Aging Up? Not to Worry

In my first blog entry, “Coolest So Far,” I wrote how the forties are the coolest age of my life to date and wondered if things would keep getting better. Good news - according to the latest research, the best is yet to come. Marti Barletta, author of “PrimeTime Women,” has found that women are happiest between the ages of 50-70, a fact that seems quite surprising in our youth obsessed culture.

Barletta, CEO of TrendSight Group, a consulting think tank that specializes in marketing to women, says women in their 50s and 60s “truly feel at their peak – personally, professionally, financially and psychologically.” PrimeTime women enjoy a new sense of freedom as they move beyond trying to conform to pressures to be, act, or think a certain way.

In our 50s, we finally come into ourselves. How cool is that?

While I love my forties, I must admit, I’ve looked at the big 5-0 with certain amount of trepidation. It’s not just the physical changes I am resisting. I also worry about getting out of touch, losing my drive - basically becoming irrelevant.

But according to Barletta, that's not likely to happen. She’s found that older women are more deeply involved with their family, work, community and society than younger women. They are more politically active, they are more likely to volunteer and they are happier with their careers. In fact, most women aged 50 -70 feel their greatest achievements are still to come.

It’s a relief to know that I have every reason to look forward to those next two decades. So, the next time I see a hot young woman romping in her bikini on the beach, I’m not going to envy her. She’s got the benefit of youth and health, but I’ve got the ace in the hole.

I’m way closer to 50 than she is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did Marti Barletta tell you about the organization she's involved with called IMMN--International Mature Marketing Network? If not, I will. My name is Mike Meyers and I run a company in chicago called thirdgear 40+ marketing (thirdgear.com) A little over a year ago I met a gentleman named Kevin Lavery from the UK who runs a company called Millennium--also in the business of marketing to history's largest and wealthiest cohorts--the Baby Boomers. Together, we started IMMN, pronounced "I'm in!" Please visit our site at IMMN.org and learn more about our group that is dedicated to "spreading the word" to marketers and companies about the buying power of a group that is basically being ignored because they don't fit into the "sweet spot" of 18-34 any longer. Obviously, we think this is a big and expensive mistake. After all, there are over 100 million of us spending in excess of $2.1 trillion a year on cars, travel, real estate, entertainment, electronics and yes...insurance, investments and medicine. If possible, contact me at mikey@thirdgear.com and i'll tell you more about our company and IMMN. Looks like we all agree that Forty is Fabulous!